Wednesday, July 6, 2011

SEALIN' IN THE FRESH'NESS: PART 1


THE FRESH COLLECTIVE was created to celebrate, explore & inspire all things FRESH... FRESH by our definition. The definition of a movement who seek to redefine the urban experience for those who understand it & wish to celebrate it.
THE FRESH COLLECTIVE was created by ELAN WONDER, CHEK ROKA, & CESAR 5IN50. Three high school friends from Elizabeth, NJ who are still currently involved in the street art movement. Today THE FRESH COLLECTIVE aims to attract talented artists in every medium from art to music to dance. Through shows, exhiitions, & events we plan to innovate & spread the FRESH.


INTERVIEW W CHEK ROKA

MG: Who you be?
CR: I be the almighty Chek Roka of the Fresh Collective
MG: How did you get started in art? Involved w FRESH?
CR: I've been drawing ever since I can remember. It wasn't 'til high school that I got into graffiti. I met a couple guys that were into it, but until I met ELAN in art class & thats when i really gained interest in the art form. 


MG: Describe your style.
CR: I can rock a few different styles, but I enjoy a cartoon, bubble, style the most. I see cartoon as a great way to exaggerate reality.
MG: Name a few influences.
CR: In the beginning I was always checking out KAWS pieces on the train lines in Jersey, but i'm always checking out ELAN'S work. I also like the letter styles of guys like RIME & TUES... & the character styles of CAN2
MG: What's your greatest accomplishment up to date experienced through art?
CR: Not sure if it's really considered an accomplishment, but I'm happy about some of the friends I made & kept through the yrs.



MG: Name one thing, anything that you'd share, but never give up?
CR: This is a tough one... I would say my wife, but she'd kick  my ass, so I'm gonna have to say..... my ham sandwich!
MG: If you could be on any tv game show what would it be?
CR: This is an easy one! I'm going w WIPEOUT! I think my athletic ability would make it an easy win!
MG: Tell us a joke.
CR: How do you know you're a pirate? ... you just arrrgghh!   "Keep on keepin' on."


For more on CHEK ROKA & his work leave comments below,  join/"like" us @ THE FRESH COLLECTIVE on Facebook or visit our website @ THEFRESHCOLLECTIVE.COM



No comments:

Post a Comment