Monday, July 25, 2011

SEALIN' IN THE FRESH'NESS: PART 2


...continued

INTERVIEW W: ELAN WONDER
MG: Who you be?
EW: Elan Wonder
MG: How did you get started in art? Involved w FRESH?


EW: I've been into art since I was a kid. I always liked to draw. I became a fan of graffiti around the time I was 7 or 8. I was big into breakdancing, so I would always see it on album covers, videos, etc. I got really attracted seeing cats from my way getting up everywhere & appreciating all the different styles. It wasn't until I was about 17 that I met CHEK in high school & took on the name "ELAN". That was in 1994. He was my mentor in many ways & we started taking it to the walls together. We started several crews such as NJ crew & Liquid Soul Designs. About 15 years & many walls later, I decided to form an art collective with partners CHEK, CES CINCO and MIMIK. We've been painting together & taking part in part shows in an effort to create momentum to showcase our work & celebrate the golden era of hip hop.


MG: Describe your style.
EW: I don't know if I have a particular name for my style, but I like to think it's mechanical. I think good letter form should have tons of style, movement, balance & just feel like its saying something to you. & I'm always sketching & trying to evolve my style & try something new. I think that's an important part of evolving the artform, so hopefully I am helping to achieve that for myself & perhaps the movement.
MG:Name a few influences.
EW: I would start with my crew. I think we all tend to influence the others in one way or another. I'm constantly looking at what others are doing though, so I could say that in regards to style, a little bit absorbs into my mind from the people who I think are doing it well. Graffiti is more than just letter styles though. I get a ton of inspriation on color from sneaker brands, like Puma in particular. They have some great use of color in their products. Inspiration comes from anywhere.



MG: Whats you greatest accomplishment up to date experienced thru art?
EW: I'm not quite sure what I would call my greatest achievement. I've definitely got a few highlights that I will always remember like making some good friends, painting murals, the thrill of bombing, selling my first canvas, etc. I hope the best is yet to come!
MG: Name one thing, anything that you'd share, but never give up?
EW: I'll share my Montana paint, but I aint givin it up. Never going back to Krylon!
MG: If you can be on any tv game show what would it be?
EW: I think I can hustle my way into a trip to Mexico & a brand new car on The Price Is Right!
MG: Tell us a joke?
EW: Ever heard of an Australian kiss? It's like a French kiss, but down under!




For more on ELANWONDER & his work leave comments below,  visit Elan's blog by clicking on the link above, "like" us @ THE FRESH COLLECTIVE on Facebook or visit our website @ THEFRESHCOLLECTIVE.COM




No comments:

Post a Comment